Slips, trips, and falls are some of the most common ways people suffer accidental injuries in Alabama. Millions of people go to the ER for slip and fall injuries every year, causing severe side effects that may last for months or years after the initial accident. The cost to treat slip and fall accident injuries can be high, especially if the person who fell suffers a major spinal cord or brain injury.
If you have been injured in a Dothan slip and fall accident, contact the personal injury attorneys at Stokes Stemle, LLC right away. Our firm focuses solely on personal injury cases, making it easier for us to give specialized, individual attention to our clients. A Dothan slip and fall attorney can go over your case with you and help organize the evidence needed to recover maximum compensation for your injuries. Contact us today for a free initial consultation to learn more about our services.
How Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
Slip and fall accidents can occur almost anywhere, including at home, work, businesses, restaurants, sports venues, public parks, theme parks, rental properties, and parking lots. There are also many ways someone could trip or slip, making slip and fall accidents common. Some of the causes of slip and fall accidents our attorneys see often include the following:
- Water, drinks, and other spilled liquids on the floor of a restaurant, business, home, or workplace
- Rain, ice, snow, and other precipitation in entryways, sidewalks, parking lots, and hallways
- Objects left on the floor
- Poorly maintained sidewalks or other pathways
- Stray electrical cords
- Ramps and staircases with poorly maintained handrails or pathways
- Poor lighting
- Construction site hazards
- Accidents at swimming pools
Common Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
Some of the most common injuries that occur in slip and fall accidents are:
- Bruises from the force of your body landing hard on the ground
- Muscle sprains and strains caused by your body twisting or bending at an awkward angle
- Broken bones after bracing for a fall, especially in the wrists, hands, and other extremities
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord damage and paralysis
- Nerve damage
- External injuries to the head and face
- Hip and knee injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
How to File a Slip and Fall Claim in Dothan
There’s more involved in slip and fall claims than simply filing a personal injury lawsuit. If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident, here’s what you need to do to protect your rights and give yourself the best chance of recovering compensation for your injuries:
- Report the accident — Make a written report to the property owner, landlord, or manager. It’s also a good idea to call 911 and make a report to the police so there’s a record of the accident.
- Document the scene — Take pictures of any hazard in the immediate vicinity that may have caused you to fall. Also, take pictures of the surrounding area to have a detailed record of the accident scene. Try to get contact information from any eyewitnesses.
- Get medical treatment — If you have severe injuries, call for emergency medical personnel so they can bring you to a hospital. Even if you are not taken for emergency treatment, see a doctor as soon as possible. Your doctor can evaluate you for any hidden injuries and start documenting all your physical injuries.
- Don’t say anything to any insurance companies — You need to be extremely careful about what you say to insurance companies and what information you share with them. As a general rule, it’s a good idea to talk to an attorney before you give any official statements to an insurer.
- Be mindful of social media — Statements you make regarding the accident on social media could be used against you. When in doubt, don’t say anything in a public forum.
- Talk to a slip and fall attorney — You need to act fast if you want the best possible chance of your slip and fall claim succeeding. Talking to a lawyer as soon as you can allow them to get started on your case while you are recovering from your injuries.
Liability in Alabama Slip and Fall Accidents
Liability is a complicated topic in slip and fall accident cases because a property owner’s duty of care for others on the premises depends on the relationship between the property owner and the victim. For example, trespassers can only sue a property owner for injuries caused by the owner’s deliberate or willful actions.
If you were legally on someone else’s property at the time of an accident, liability works a bit differently. If you are visiting someone else’s property as a social guest, the property owner can generally only be held liable for injuries caused by hazards they actually knew about. Business owners can be held liable for hazards caused by both known and unknown hazards. But you’ll have to show the owner should have known about the hazard in question.
If you have any questions about who’s at fault, an attorney can help determine who can be held liable in your slip and fall case.
Compensation Available in Alabama Slip and Fall Cases
Alabama law allows slip and fall accident victims to seek compensation for many different kinds of injuries and other losses, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost income and reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Damaged personal property
Stokes Stemle, LLC can help you fight for your rights and the compensation you may be entitled to for your slip and fall injuries.
Talk to an Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer in Dothan, AL Today
Don’t wait to talk to a lawyer if you’ve been injured in an Alabama slip and fall accident. You don’t have to navigate the legal system alone. Contact Stokes Stemle, LLC today for a free consultation with a Dothan slip and fall attorney.