6 Steps to Take After a Car Accident
A car accident occurs almost every minute of every day, yet most people do not know what steps to take after being involved in a motor vehicle collision. Victims of car accidents can quickly find themselves suffering from severe injuries requiring expensive medical treatment, not to mention dealing with the stresses of repairing and/or replacing their vehicle involved in the collision. However, there are several steps you can take immediately following a car accident to increase the likelihood of you being quickly and fairly compensated for outstanding bills and pain and suffering.
To help protect you and to make sure you are prepared in the event of an auto accident, the legal team at Stokes Stemle – Personal Injury Lawyers has outlined six important steps to take after an accident:
- Make Sure Everyone is Okay.
- Take a moment to make sure that you and all of your passengers are alright. Once you have checked on each of your passengers, then make sure the area around the collision is clear before you check on the other people involved in the collision.
- If anyone is injured be sure to call an ambulance.
- Call the Police.
- It is important that you call 911 so that the police may come out and investigate the collision and make an official report.
- Make sure to inform the investigating officers of any injuries you feel that you may have sustained as a result of the collision.
- Exchange Information with Other Drivers.
- Make sure that you get the names, addresses, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers and insurance information for all parties involved in the accident.
- You should also write down the make, model, year, color, and license plate number of all vehicles.
- Get Contact Information from Witnesses.
- If any witnesses stop to help be sure to speak with them and write down their names and contact information just in case you may need them later on.
- Take Pictures.
- Take pictures of the damage to all vehicles involved in the accident, as well as the scene of the collision. If you don’t have access to a cell phone or camera, make sure that you take photographs of your car and the accident scene as soon as possible after the accident.
- Contact a Lawyer.
- After an accident, it is important to get in touch with an auto accident attorney to assist you in handling your car accident claims. An experienced car accident lawyer familiar with personal injury law in Alabama can guide you through the claims process and advise you on how best to approach speaking to the insurance company about how the collision occurred and receiving compensation for property damage and outstanding medical bills.
Contact Stokes Stemle – Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been involved in a car accident, the auto accident attorneys at Stokes Stemle, LLC are here to help you in this difficult time. We specialize in personal injury cases and are available to address any questions or concerns you may have about the insurance claims process. Our lawyers will advise you on how best to proceed so as to ensure you receive a fair settlement from the car insurance companies and maximize your claims value. Call us today at 334.316.4123 to schedule your free, confidential consultation at one of our Auburn, Dothan or Montgomery offices.